Why Classics Isn’t For Everyone

Classics is for everyone! It’s a phrase often used to defend the subject, and in fairness, it comes from a kindhearted place. People use it because they understand that there are obvious structural barriers if you want to make it into Classics, including but not limited to, class, education, gender, race and sexuality. Their response is that Classics is often presented in the public mind as an elitist subject, but in reality, it has appeal for everyone. I do agree that Classics is a subject which everyone can love, but I also believe that the expression ‘Classics is for everyone’ is also not really true because of how the subject currently exists in the education sector.

And before I go any further, I’m talking specifically about the UK here. I’m aware that the situation is apparently better in countries such as Italy, just as one example. Unfortunately, I’m a typical dumb English man, so you’ll have to forgive my ignorance when it comes to the rest of the world!

                We all know that there is a ridiculous hierarchy around Classics, Class Civ, Classical Studies and Ancient History because Latin and Greek are fetishised. I honestly wouldn’t care so much about this if it is just a few upper-class people (usually men from my experience) who are reminiscing about their old Oxbridge days, or if it is a handful of snobbish academics. In truth, this is a problem which affects people in real ways. If you want to teach a classical subject at secondary school, then Latin teaching is mandatory. If you want to go into University lecturing, then Latin and Greek are essential skills and it goes against you if you don’t have them. If you are writing a research project, you will be queried on why you might not be using Latin and Greek. The classical subject hierarchy affects you when you are trying to get employment in the Classics, although I do admit that things are starting to get better on this front compared to how they were ten years ago.

                The problem here is that if you do want to get a Classics degree then you meet significant structural barriers because of the way the subject is fundamentally designed. The courses, by and large, are taught with an expectation that you have already done A level Latin, and perhaps some Greek too, and it starts off at the deep end. I’m not going to name Universities because I don’t want to pick on anyone in particular, but it’s a general problem which pervades most of them. There is a clearly unfair playing field here considering that Latin is overwhelmingly taught at private and grammar schools. How are the state comprehensive students expected to catch up?

                Some solutions have been offered by Universities to make Classics degrees fairer. The most common is the “intensive language courses”, which try to get you up to speed in Latin and Greek over the three years you are at university – and sometimes in an optional fourth year. I do appreciate this attempt, but I also have some issues with this approach. I think it’s unbelievable to expect anyone to catch up in a few years of intensive study with someone who has been learning the languages for three times as long as you. I’ve talked about this with people who have done this route and they admit to intense insecurity in trying to catch up with peers who are clearly more experienced and confident than them. I’ve written a blog post on the fact that many students in Classical subjects are not fluent in the languages:


I also know that there is a debate on how effective these intensive courses. Some argue that we shouldn’t be focusing on a grammar and text approach (Cambridge Latin Course, Oxford Latin Course, the John Taylor books) and should be taking a more holistic reading approach (ala the Lingua Latina series). I own virtually all the Latin books and have seen their strengths and weaknesses. I do think these people have a point that we spend too much time on teaching grammar and not reading, which is what helps us learn vocabulary. Nevertheless, I am also sceptical that using Lingua Latina would make it possible for everyone to catch up with experienced language users in a few years, but who knows, perhaps it would. I’m unaware of Universities in the UK which use the 'immersive' approach.

The situation to me is quite clear: we have a ‘pure’ Classics which is fundamentally designed for the grammar and private sector. The intensive courses, in my opinion, are a band-aid solution which are designed to bring people up to very high expectations (those who can) rather than genuinely level the playing field. I do know that there are students who beat the odds and manage to catch up with everyone else. They start off as the worst in their class, put in godforsaken hours, and rise to the top despite it all. I know because I’ve done this myself and have spoken to others who have done it too. But I also know a great number of people who tried to catch up and failed. The fact that we could do it doesn’t mean that the current situation is okay. In other words, just because some people manage to overcome structural barriers, that doesn’t mean that those barriers no longer exist.

Some people might complain that I’m being overly negative here, and I also think that’s another part of the problem. From my experience, when you are promoting a more diverse Classics you always have to be upbeat and positive. Neville Morley wrote a book called Classics: Why it Matters which was criticised for being too negative about the language obsession in the field (https://classicsforall.org.uk/book-reviews/classics-why-it-matters/). Forward with Classics, which was edited by Arlene Holmes-Henderson, Steven Hunt and Mai Musié, was more lightly criticised for being too negative about government policy and praised elsewhere for being “thoroughly upbeat” (https://classicsforall.org.uk/book-reviews/forward-with-classics-classical-languages-in-schools-and-communities/). 

I don’t want to give the impression that I think no good work is being done. I used to have issues with Classics for All because I thought it sometimes privileged Latin in the past, but I also think it’s a great organisation and has done a lot of good. That said, in recent times I've talked about the charity with those who work closely with it, and I think Classics for All really does care about Classical Civilisation. I think we have some real heroes in our field – Edith Hall and Arlene Holmes=Henderson have done a tremendous deal of good and helped change public attitude with her ACE project: http://aceclassics.org.uk/. I also have seen the many lecturers who take time out of their day to go into schools and advertise the classical world– your work here isn’t being missed by me!

I just think this insistence on positivity is stifling. If we can’t talk candidly about the problems in Classics, what can we do? I know that it isn’t pleasant to hear about the elitism and snobbery which exists in our subject if you study Class Civ, Classical Studies or Ancient History. Trust me, I know, because I’ve also lived through it and continue to do so. But we have to tackle this institutional problem head on, otherwise it will never go away.

What’s the solution to all this? I don’t really know in reality, but I do have some ideas. I long for the day where we have one Classics subject – I don’t really mind what it would be called – and if is truly down to personal preference what avenue you choose to go into. If you like the languages, you can take language modules. If you like ancient history, you can take historical modules. If you like ancient philosophy, you can take philosophy modules. If you like literature in translation, you take the relevant modules. Etc etc. Nobody is expected to have studied Latin and Greek for years before starting their degree. I know that this might be unrealistic, because this would probably be difficult to arrange. I also know that Universities have a somewhat cynical motive in having numerous classical degree options because they can keep their enrolment numbers up by attracting different people to them (when, by and large, the different classical subjects – say Classical Studies or Ancient Philosophy - function as the same degree, just with different compulsory modules). At the very least, I want to see an end to the dominant ideology that studying through the languages is the true path to the Classics.

Classics can be for everyone: this isn’t a issue which I think is unsolvable. But I also think we need to accept the problems which do exist in Classics, even if we don’t currently have the answers.

As An Aside

I’ve met a few people who know me only from my blog and Twitter and have never met me before in person. It can be amusing at times, because they say they always think of me as that “radical Classics guy” or “the Pliny guy”. I’m actually more chilled out then some of you might expect! I reject extreme cynicism and nihilism – I do think these are problems which one day will be solved. I just also have a passion to talk about this stuff, because I’ve thought about it for over ten years ever since I was an undergrad. I also do think that we are getting better as a subject in being more open in talking about these uncomfortable topics. It’s just that we need to push further!

One thing is true though, I really do love Pliny that much!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should I do a PhD in Classics?